And off we go!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:36 PM Posted by Jeremy Creasy
Wow, things move fast sometimes.  I have officially made a friend going through the same thing we are going through in the same area as us.  Preston, from http://montellooffgrid.blogspot.com, emailed me after I "Followed" his blog.  He has already made friends with some other Montello "transplants" and is moving right along with his adventure.  We have shared some good information with each other about our plans and I'm glad we met.  It may just be my excitement but something tells me this move will be a really great thing, not only for us, but for Montello.

A little about me...  I have never felt like I "fit" anywhere I have been since I was at an age to care.  I am a very sociable person and making friends has gotten easier and easier for me over the years.  I'm a very outgoing, outspoken guy and I love people.  Over the last 2 years or so Jen and I have learned a lot about friendships and the "city".  What we learned, we don't like.  Even though we have a couple of good friends that we know we can trust, we know now that the majority of our friends are really only concerned with themselves.  That makes me feel depressed because I have learned more and more how to be selfless.  It mostly comes from my belief in God and Jesus.  Jennifer has spent the last 4+ years growing with me as well so we are on the same page.

How does that relate to where we are now?  At first, the idea of moving out west was a joke but even when it started to materialize it was more or less a place to escape relationship problems.  (w/ friends)  Before our wedding we almost purchased 40 acres in the valley to the west of Pilot Valley with a friend. That fell through, going back to the friends issue, and we just put off the whole idea since the wedding needed us right then.  We had a great wedding and it definitely drew us closer to family.  On the other side, it really pushed us away from our friends.  Long stories...  After that we spent 2 months cleaning up the leftover bills from the wedding and then along comes the holidays.  After that we began getting antsy about this Nevada idea again.  We talked pretty hard about it this time and it felt different than before.  Even though we had ignored it for so many months it had been growing into the monster that it is now.  Up until now we have splurged our money on useless things and not saved properly.  We have been irresponsible with our debt and bills.  But this idea to clean up those issues, pack up, move to Nevada and try to live life the way we believe everyone should live has really changed us.  As I sit here and type this out my nerves are on edge because I want this so bad.  I want to DO something for a change.  I have spent so many years wondering what I was going to do to impact...ANYTHING.  Hating a job that hated me back.  It isn't about money with me, it isn't about feeling successful for making a lot of it.  It's about the satisfaction of working hard for something that directly affects my survival.  It's hard to feel that working for a company where there is no real accountability.

So back to the plan.  Still no timeline established but I assure you when we set one it won't be long from that point.  LOL  That's sorta how we are.  When I have an idea, I start learning and working towards that idea the same day.  Nothing different here.  Project #1 Solar Panels!  I have been doing my research and by February I will have everything I need to build my own solar panels.  There is still more research to do but I am confident at this point that this will work.  If it does work I will move onto to Wind Turbines.  When I get to that point I will blog about it, with pictures, stay tuned.

2 Response to "And off we go!"

  1. MontelloOffGrid Says:

    I felt a few similarities in our lives as I read your words. I've never had trouble fitting in no matter where I've lived, but I've never felt anywhere to be a perfect fit. Admittedly, my exposure to Montello is limited, but so far it feels like the perfect fit to me. Although I really like the few people I have made friendships with out there, I think it is less about people and more about the place. The place empowers me and makes me feel confident and independent (no matter how untrue that may be right now). For me, Montello is like coming home! Keep up the research and we'll see you in Montello!!!!

  2. Jim Says:

    I want to by a little pice of land for off grid living solor power, haul in water home dept bucket for composite is that to tough area with the county for some thing like that

    Thanks
    Jim!!